Alexandria, Minnesota: A Great Place!
What Makes Alexandria, Minnesota Such a Great Place to Live?
Alexandria, Minnesota, is a charming town located in the heart of the state, with a population of approximately 14,000 people. It is the county seat of Douglas County, and it is situated on the western edge of the state, about 130 miles northwest of the Twin Cities. The town is known for its beautiful lakes, thriving downtown area, and rich history, which dates back to the 19th century.
History of Alexandria, Minnesota
Alexandria, Minnesota was first settled in the late 1850s by a group of pioneers who were drawn to the area's rich soil and abundant water resources. The town was named after Alexander Kinkead, a prominent businessman who helped to establish the community. Over the years, Alexandria has grown into a vibrant town with a rich cultural heritage.
Who Lives in Alexandria, Minnesota?
Alexandria has a diverse population, with a mix of families, retirees, and young professionals. The town is predominantly white, with a growing Hispanic population. According to the 2020 United States Census, the median age in Alexandria is 43.8 years, and the median household income is $57,353. The town has a high level of education, with over 25% of the population holding a bachelor's degree or higher.
What's the Alexandria Housing Market Like?
Alexandria, Minnesota has a range of housing options, from historic homes in the downtown area to modern apartments and townhouses. The median home value in Alexandria is $186,000, which is lower than the state average. The town also has a variety of rental properties, with rents ranging from affordable to upscale. There are also several senior living communities in Alexandria, providing older residents with a range of housing options.
Are There Jobs in Alexandria, Minnesota?
The job market in Alexandria, Minnesota is strong, with a diverse range of industries and businesses. The town is home to several major employers, including 3M, Douglas County Hospital, and Alexandria Public Schools. Other major industries in the area include manufacturing, healthcare, and retail. The town also has a growing tourism industry, which provides job opportunities in hospitality and service industries.
What is There to Do in Alexandria?
Alexandria is known for its beautiful lakes, which provide residents with ample opportunities for outdoor recreation. The town is situated on the shores of Lake Carlos, Lake Darling, Lake Geneva, and other smaller lakes. These lakes are popular for swimming, boating, fishing, and other water sports. There are also several parks and trails in the area, including the Central Lakes Trail, a 55-mile trail that runs from Fergus Falls to Osakis.
Alexandria, Minnesota Culture
Alexandria has a rich cultural heritage, with several museums and historic sites in the area. The Runestone Museum is one of the town's most popular attractions, showcasing the famous Kensington Runestone, a controversial artifact that some believe to be evidence of early Viking exploration of the area. The town also has several art galleries and theaters, including the Andria Theatre, which hosts plays and musical performances throughout the year.
Healthcare in Alexandria
Alexandria has a strong healthcare system, with several major hospitals and clinics in the area. Douglas County Hospital is the largest hospital in the town, providing emergency services, surgical services, and specialized care in areas such as cardiology and oncology. Additionally, there are several clinics and private practices in the town, providing residents with a range of medical services.
What's the Cost of Living Like in Alexandria?
Alexandria has a relatively affordable cost of living, with a median home value of $186,000, which is lower than the state average. The town also has a lower cost of living compared to the nearby Twin Cities, making it an attractive option for those looking for a more affordable place to live. The cost of groceries, utilities, and other necessities is also in line with the national average.
Events in the Alexandria Community
Alexandria, Minnesota is a town that values community engagement and hosts several events throughout the year to bring residents together. Some of the most popular events include the Vikingland Band Festival, the Douglas County Fair, and the Winter Wonderland Holiday Light Display. There are also several annual festivals celebrating the area's rich heritage, such as the Scandinavian Hjemkomst and Midwest Viking Fest, which celebrates the town's Nordic roots.
In addition to these large-scale events, there are also smaller community events and activities that take place throughout the year, such as farmers' markets, live music performances, and outdoor movie screenings.
Overall, Alexandria, Minnesota, is a vibrant and welcoming town with a rich history, strong community spirit, and ample recreational opportunities. The town's diverse population, affordable cost of living, and strong job market make it an attractive option for families, young professionals, and retirees alike. With its stunning lakes, cultural attractions, and range of housing options, Alexandria is a town that truly has something for everyone.
Food and Fun in Alexandria, Minnesota
Alexandria, Minnesota, is a vibrant town with plenty of options for eating, shopping, and having fun. Here are some of the best places to check out:
Eating in Alexandria, Minnesota
- Doolittles Woodfire Grill - This upscale restaurant offers a range of wood-fired dishes, including steak, seafood, and pizza. The menu is well-curated, and the service is excellent.
- Raapers Eatery & Ale - This local favorite serves American comfort food in a cozy atmosphere. The menu features burgers, sandwiches, and salads, as well as a range of beers on tap.
- Depot Express - This historic train depot has been converted into a restaurant and serves classic American fare. The Depot Burger is a must-try, and the outdoor patio is perfect for warm summer evenings.
- Pike & Pint Grill - This gastropub serves elevated pub food and craft beer in a trendy setting. The menu features items like fish and chips, burgers, and flatbreads, and the beer selection is extensive.
Shopping in Alexandria, Minnesota
- The Shoppes at Arbor Lakes - This outdoor shopping center features a range of stores, from major retailers like Nordstrom and Pottery Barn to boutique shops and specialty stores.
- Viking Plaza Mall - This indoor mall has a range of stores, including clothing retailers, electronics shops, and a food court.
- Alexandria Farmers Market - This seasonal market takes place on Saturdays from May to October and features local produce, baked goods, and artisanal crafts.
- Ole's Thrifty Cottage - This thrift store is a local favorite and has a wide range of gently used clothing, furniture, and home decor items.
Having Fun in Alexandria, Minnesota
- Lake Carlos State Park - This state park is located on Lake Carlos and has a range of recreational opportunities, including hiking trails, swimming, and fishing.
- Big Ole Central Park - This park is located in the heart of downtown Alexandria and is home to the iconic Big Ole statue. It also has a playground, picnic areas, and a skate park.
- Carlos Creek Winery - This local winery offers tastings, tours, and events throughout the year. It also has a gift shop and a restaurant serving wood-fired pizza.
- Theatre L'Homme Dieu - This historic theater hosts a range of performances, from plays and musicals to concerts and comedy shows.
In conclusion, Alexandria, Minnesota, has plenty of options for eating, shopping, and having fun. From upscale restaurants to thrift stores, outdoor shopping centers to state parks, there is something for everyone in this vibrant town.
What People Are Saying About 6th & Broadway Clothing and Decor in Alexandria, Minnesota
Regular price $0.00Regular priceUnit price per
Regular price $128.00Regular priceUnit price per
Regular price $118.00Regular priceUnit price per
Regular price $109.00Regular priceUnit price per
Regular price $79.00Regular priceUnit price per